Muleshoe City Council met at 5:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 10, at City Hall. Present were Mayor Colt Ellis, Mayor Pro-Tem Earl Behrends, and Council members Lupe Mendoza and Crystal Alarcon. Council member Gary Parker was absent.
Minutes of the Nov. 8, 2021, Council meeting were approved.
Minutes of the Nov. 22, 2021, Special Council Meeting were approved.
Council considered reimbursement of receipt from Kenzi Green for the 2021 Muleshoe Merry Market from Hotel/Motel Tax Funds. At the Nov. 6, 2021, meeting, the Council approved up to $1,000 for Merry Market. Green submitted receipts for $535.49. A motion to approve the amount was made, seconded and approved.
A motion to receive the Investment Report and Financial Statement for the month ending Dec. 31, 2021, was made, seconded and approved.
City Manager Ramon Sanchez presented Administrative Reports:
- The Chamber of Commerce held their annual Christmas parade beginning at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, 2021.
- The City held its annual Christmas Luncheon on Dec. 8, 2021, at the City of Muleshoe Training Facility. City of Muleshoe employees donated a total of $2,850 to the Bailey County Food Pantry and delivered approximately 1,500 meals for the year through Meals on Wheels. City employees have the option of donating up to $5 per paycheck, and most of them participated. Meals on Wheels delivery rotates between Police Department, Public Works and the City Hall and Bailey County Library combined.
- Bailey County Library, Five Area Telephone, Xcel Energy and the city’s Public Works Department were thanked for their help in putting up and taking down Christmas decorations.
- Jan. 19, 2022, is the first day to file for a place on the City of Muleshoe ballot for the May 7, 2022, General Election. District 1 and District 2 council members will be elected. Elections for the school and the hospital will also be held.
- A reception for retiring Chief Gary McHone was held at the City of Muleshoe Police Department from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, 2021.
- A retirement reception for Municipal Judge Juana Shelburne was held in the Council Chambers from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2021.
- A reception for retiring Chief of Police Gary McHone was held from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 20, 2021, at the City of Muleshoe Police Department.
- A retirement reception for Municipal Judge Juana Shelburne was held from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday, Dec/ 22, 2021, in Council Chambers.
- New police officer Sean Atchley was sworn in on Dec.13, 2021.
- Santana Loya was sworn in as municipal judge on Dec. 23.
- The CDBG signed a notice of a project for placing of water lines. They will be working on Ave. D, between 6th and 8th St., and between B and C on 10th, 11th and 12th streets.
“We’re asking citizens to be patient,” Sanchez said. “Services might be interrupted in the area and also traffic on Ave. D.”
- Sanchez said the American Rescue Plan has been funded, and more information will be coming from the U.S. Treasury on the project.
”We will participate in that program, meet with staff tomorrow and narrow down some of the projects that we’re looking at,” Sanchez said. “This is a 3- to 5-year project.”
Council went into Closed Session in Accordance with Vernon’s Texas Codes Annotated, Government Section 551.074 Personnel Matters, Chief of Police Position.
Council returned and the meeting was adjourned at 5:56 p.m.
Muleshoe Journal Correspondent